Blogging Assignment #7: If I Could Visit Anywhere…

Assignment Details:

The title of your next blog posting is, If I Could Visit Anywhere…  In this posting I would like you to write a post or use a web 2.0 tool telling your readers about a place you would love to visit and why.  Web 2.0 tools we have used in the past have included Voki’s, presentations, video, VoiceThread’s etc.  Here is a link to more tools  you can use.

In order to meet the requirements of this posting you need to include the following:

• I would like you to name the city/place, the country, and the continent in which the place you would most like to visit is found.
  • I would like you to tell me at least five reasons, using full-sentences, why you would like to visit.
  • I would like you to add a picture of the place you’d most like to visit.
  • I would like you to add a video, or make your own, connect to the place you would most like to visit.
The list above is the minimum requirement for this assignment.  I encourage you to go above and beyond by adding extra detail, additional reasons why you would love to visit, connect to ideas you know about this place outside of what we have learned in school, and add Google maps.

Mr. Lister’s Example:

If I could visit anywhere in the world I would like to visit New Zealand.

New Zealand is a country split into two small islands (North Island and South Island) located in the southern hemisphere.  Geographically situated in the South Pacific Ocean it is one of several countries which make up the continent, Oceania.  New Zealands capital city is named, Wellington.  Wellington is located on the southwestern tip of the North Island.

There are many reasons why I’d like to go to New Zealand, but the following reasons are the most important.  Firstly, I am intrigued by indigenous peoples around the world and New Zealand has some of the most respected, mystifying, and honoured.  The Maori people of New Zealand, just like the Metis, Inuit, and First Nations people of Canada, have struggled to keep their identity and cultural belief systems.  I am fascinated by their traditional lifestyles, strong sense of community, and their scientific inventions.  By visiting New Zealand I would hope to learn more about their community hierarchy and their oral histories/legends.

Secondly, I hope to explore New Zealand stunning geography.  There are many mountains, volcanoes, lakes, and coastlines to explore.  I would like to summit Mount Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand.  Mout Cook is just under 4000 meters above sea level.  Given enough time, I would also like to kayak around the smaller of the two islands, the North Island.  I am not sure how long it would take to circumnavigate the North Island, but I would kayak close to shore and sleep on the beach each night.  A trip to New Zealand wouldn’t be complete without a scuba diving trip.  Nothing would make me happier than to dive at Poor Knights Island.  Poor Knights Island is a protected marine reserve and is located 23km off the coast.  I dream of swimming with sea turtle, baby shark, and brightly coloured fish.  If I could visit anywhere in the world, I would visit New Zealand because of its beautiful geography and honoured indigenous people.

This is a map of Poor Knights Island

View Larger Map

3 thoughts on “Blogging Assignment #7: If I Could Visit Anywhere…

1. Hi canadians from England. I hope you had a nice christmas over their. If we could visit anywhere in the world we would visit Las Vagus as a fun visit and the rainforest as a way to see their lives. I hope you have a nice time quadblogging with us.

1. Hi Elliot and Katie. Thank you for visiting our class blog. We look forwarding to interacting with your blog later in the project. All my students have their own blogs, which can be located on the right hand side-bar of this blog. Please feel free to comment on their blogs and interact with their writing.

2. Mr Lister
    Thanks so much for all your students comments over the past few days, we’ve also put comments on your students blogs. Our class this year have only just started working online and we only started working back at school in February, so we’re learning fast. Also interesting you’d choose New Zealand for a visit. We occasionally get people who do Kayak or Canoe around the North Island or the South, it tends to take a long time. We discussed Canada in class today and brainstormed what we knew (which wasn’t a whole lot) and we came up with some questions for your students about Canada. We’ve then visited their individual blogs (which are wonderful) and left the questions as comments.