Blogging Guidelines

When you press PUBLISH, what you have written is instantly visible all around the world. Make sure you think carefully about what you write in blogs and in comments and always follow these rules.

BE SAFE:

• Do not use your last name.
  • Don’t be specific when writing about yourself. eg. Say: “I play basketball with a local team” rather than “I play for the Mt Eliza Tigers”.
  • Never give anyone your address, email address or phone number. You can keep in touch through the blog.
  • Do not post photos of others without their permission.

BE RESPECTFUL

• Don’t say anything that might be offensive to someone else.
  • Be considerate of others. When commenting, show others that you have read what they have written rather than just saying “great job”.
  • Be open to other people’s opinions, but be prepared to discuss your own position if you don’t agree.

BE LITERATE

• You know about good grammar, spelling and punctuation. Apply it!
  • Save abbreviations and shortcuts for MSN and texting.
  • You are broadcasting yourself to the world. Present yourself in the best possible light.

Mr. Lister’s I Can Statements
Posts:

• I can capitalized the first letter of each word in my title.
  • I can write a meaningful blog post with a minimum of 5 sentences.
  • I can break up large pieces of text with media, spaces, and bullet points.
  • I can add copyright free meaningful multimedia (video, links, pictures, audio,) to my blog post when appropriate.
  • I can edit  my work for spelling, grammar, missing words and punctuation
  • I can organize and format my blog post (4-square)
  • I can give my audience new information about a topic
  • I can vary the starting of my sentences and use a variety of sentence lengths
  • I can add meaningful links to my blog.
  • I can use advanced vocabulary in my postings
  • I can reflect on my writing by making connections to my own life when I write posts

Commenting

• I can sign-in using my Edublogs username and password before leaving a comment.
  • I can introduce myself before getting to the main body of the comment.
    • For example, “Hi my name is Mr. Lister and I am from Chilliwack, BC Canada.  I am writing today as part of a class project about the benefits of “Thinking in Public.”
  • I can read a blog posting and pick out one or two points that I like.
    • For example, “I like what you said about getting too much homework in school.  I have a busy social life outside of school because I attend dance, music, and yoga classes.  It’s hard to find the time to do homework after all my evening activities.”
    • For example, “I too like dogs.  I like dogs because I enjoy going for long walks around my neighbourhood.  My dog, like yours, loves to curl up on my bed as I fall asleep.”
  • I can continue the dialogue of a blog posting by asking a question.  By asking a question at the end of my comment I am inviting a response.
    • For example, “What are your thoughts on homework in middle school or high school?  Should we get homework at all?  If we don’t get homework in elementary school but are expected to do lots of homework in middle school, might that be a problem?
    • For example, “If you could have any shape, size, and breed of dog in whole world, then what kind of dog would you have and why?
  • I can end my comment with a goodbye statement.
    • For example, “Thanks, Mr. Lister” or “From Chilliwack, Mr. Lister.”  or “Until next time, Mr. Lister.”
  • I can write my response in Microsoft Word first in order to pick out any spelling mistakes, capital letters, missing words, and periods.
  • I can use advanced vocabulary in my postings
  • I can add links to my comment in order to help enrich the conversation.
  • I can reflect on my writing by making connections to my own life when I write posts

3 thoughts on “Blogging Guidelines

1. Don’t give any information that can tell people about yourself. And never give pictures out. Ask your parents before going on what your going to go on like let’s say facebook that place can get to any people in this world like a bad person.so my advice to you is ASK YOUR PARENTS BEFORE GOING ONLINE…

2. Pingback: Blog Assignment