Welcome Letter To Parents 2016-2017

September 14th, 2016

Dear Families,

Welcome to the 20162017 school year! As a newer teacher to the school, I wanted to
take a moment to introduce myself, share some of our focuses in the classroom this
year, and explain my availability.

My name is Christopher Lister and this is my tenth year working in the Chilliwack School
District. I look forward to connecting with many of you at our meet the teacher open
house on September 21st, and staying connected throughout the school year. My
classroom door is always open. No appointments are necessary. If you stop by and I
have to rush out of the door to a meeting, then I will schedule something with you before
I leave. It is important to me that you feel welcome and comfortable in the school and in
the classroom. I cannot help your child be the best grade five or six student without
your help, so please let me know if there is a certain way you would like me to meet the
needs of your child.

It is important for you to know that I strive to develop a culture of lifelong learning and
curiosity in my classroom. I model this with students as often as I can. As an educator I
see my role as someone who teaches children how to learn for themselves, so that
they can take those skills and apply them in a variety of situations.

Literacy (reading, writing, and oral language development) and new forms of digital
literacy are of critical importance to me. Helping your child develop strong literacy skills,
which they can use in middle school and beyond, is my number one priority. To help in
this area, I will be connecting with our district literacy coordinators to make sure I am
meeting all my students’ needs in the most efficient ways possible.

In Social Studies this year, I will continue the partnership I have developed with Free
The Children , which is a Canadian organization that empowers children to make a
difference in their local and global communities by engaging in a variety of service
learning projects. Whenever students get the chance to use skills that are developed in
the classroom, and apply them directly in real and authentic ways, school becomes
more relevant and meaningful for them. More information about this yearlong
project will be available soon.

If you would like to stay connected with events in the classroom and interact with your
child’s work, then please feel free to bookmark the class website on your home
computer or mobile device at http://mrlistersd33.edublogs.org/.
I want to take this opportunity to reiterate my commitment to helping your child be
successful in school and look forward to meeting you soon.

Kind regards,
Christopher Lister
christopher_lister@sd33.bc.ca
604 792 9301