Public Thinking Blogging Assignment

Ever wanted to travel to a unique place in the world? Today you have the chance and to share the highlights of that special place with the rest of world.  Below is the task:

1. Decide on a city, region, or country in the world you’ve always wanted to travel to – Include it in your title.

2. In the first sentence or two of your blog entry, introduce the topic.  Example, “Today we were asked to think about a special place in the world we’ve always wanted to visit and I chose…”

3. Use the four-square to explain why this places holds your interest.

4. Add one picture with proper attribution.

5. I would like you to add one or two links that will help readers of your post learn more about your favourite place.

6.  You may also add a video or make your own, which connects directly to your favourite place.

The list above is the minimum requirement for this assignment.  I encourage you to go above and beyond by adding extra detail, additional reasons why you would love to visit, connect to ideas you know about this place outside of what we have learned in school, add a screenshot of the cost of a return flight, or embed a Google maps of your location.

Mr. Lister’s Example:

New Zealand

“New Zealand” by Steve Conover is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

If I could visit anywhere in the world I would like to visit New Zealand.

New Zealand is a country split into two small islands (North Island and South Island) located in the southern hemisphere.  Geographically situated in the South Pacific Ocean, it is one of several countries which make up the continent of Oceania.  New Zealand’s capital city is named Wellington.  Wellington is located on the southwestern tip of the North Island.

There are many reasons why I would like to visit New Zealand, but the following reasons are the most important. Firstly, I am intrigued by indigenous peoples around the world and New Zealand has some of the most respected, mystifying, and honoured.  The Maori people of New Zealand, just like the Metis, Inuit, and First Nations people of Canada, have struggled to keep their identity and cultural belief systems.  I am fascinated by their traditional lifestyles, strong sense of community, and their scientific inventions.  By visiting New Zealand I would hope to learn more about their community hierarchy and their oral histories/legends.

Secondly, I hope to explore New Zealand stunning geography.  There are many mountains, volcanoes, lakes, and coastlines to explore.  I would like to summit Mount Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand.  Mout Cook is just under 4000 meters above sea level.  Given enough time, I would also like to kayak around the smaller of the two islands, the North Island.  I am not sure how long it would take to circumnavigate the North Island, but I would kayak close to shore and sleep on the shore each night.  A trip to New Zealand would not be complete without a scuba diving trip.  Nothing would make me happier than to dive at Poor Knights Island.  Poor Knights Island is a protected marine reserve and is located 23km off the coast.  I dream of swimming with sea turtle, baby shark, and brightly coloured fish.  If I could visit anywhere in the world, I would visit New Zealand because of its beautiful geography and honoured indigenous people.

This is a map of Poor Knights Island

View Larger Map

Fort more information about tourism in New Zealand you can visit the official website for tourism –  http://www.newzealand.com/int/