The United Nation’s Convention on the Rights of the Child was a document created after the World War II to help all the children affected by this horrific war. The document contains 43 articles (laws) which uphold Children’s Rights around the world. The Convention on the Rights of the Child combined with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are the single most important documents of our time.
Here are a reminder of some of the case studies we have looking at in class:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15686731 (click on the link to read the short article and watch the video)
Theme: Child Labour
Where: Ivory Coast, Africa
What: Children are working in hazardous conditions harvesting cocoa beans from the forest. The cocoa beans are then made into chocolate by the chocolate companies.
Violations In Children’s Rights:
- Article 3: All organizations concerned with children should work towards what is best for the child. The farmer is in care of the child, in the above video, but is certainly not looking out for his best interests.
- Article 4: Governments should make these rights available to children. It doesn’t appear as though the Government in the Ivory Coast is doing this.
- Article 9: Children should not be separated from their parents unless it is for their own good. The child in the above video was sent away by his parents and hasn’t seen them for three years.
- Article 28: Children have the right to an education.
- Article 31: Children have the right to relax and play, and to join in a wide range of activities.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDRH) is one of the most important documents ever written. It was created by the United Nations and it contains laws that protect every human being on Earth.
Now that we have had the opportunity to look at all 30 laws in the UDHR, I would like you to demonstrate your knowledge by completing the following assignment:
1. You may work individually or in small groups of no more than 3
2. Your presentation must formally introduce the topic: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
3. You will need to tell me who created the UDHR and its main purpose
4. Please present your top 5 laws/rights and explain why they made it on your top 5 list
5. You may present your knowledge in any one of the following ways
a. Act them out in a play/skit
b. Create a slide-show
c. Write an essay or a story
d. Use digital storytelling to present your work using Voki, VoiceThread, Prezi, or Glogster
e. Draw a series of 5 pictures or posters (text as well as images)
f. Produce a graphic novel
g. Create a short 4 minute movie
Here are some links you may need to help with the assignment:
- United Nations
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights Document
- History of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
In keeping with our themes of children’s rights and social justice in social studies this year, we are moving on to discuss the United Nations. After reviewing the material below you are going to combine your knowledge and expertise in technology with your newly acquired knowledge of the United Nations, by creating a speaking avatar or Voki. Your Voki will inform me, your classmates, and the rest of the world about your understanding of the United Nations.
- Visit www.voki.com
- Click on the create button in the top left hand corner
- Next, customize your character by gender, hairstyle, and clothing
- Once you are happy with your character click done
- Now it’s time to add the voice of your character. I would like you to make your character talk about important points you have recently learned about the United Nations
- You can either record your own voice or use the text to speech box.
- Once you’ve selected an appropriate voice for your character click done
- You can now publish your work – click publish
- You will be prompted to name your work: Use firstname and UN in capitals
- If you have not already created an account you will need to do so now – use your @mrlister.co.cc email address and DO NOT use your last name
- Once registered choose medium sized voki
- Copy all the text in the box labelled “For Most Sites Use This Code”
- Once you have the code for your Voki visit the following Google Document and paste your code under your name – http://bit.ly/hsohIT
Here is an example:
Get a Voki now!