Welcome Letter To Parents 2017-2018

September 11th, 2017

Dear Families,

Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year!  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself, share some of our focuses in the classroom this year, and explain my availability.  

My name is Christopher Lister and this is my eleventh year working in the Chilliwack School District.  I look forward to connecting with many of you at our meet the teacher open house on September 20th and staying connected throughout the school year.  My classroom door is always open.  No appointments are necessary.  If you stop by and I have to rush out of the door to a meeting, then I will schedule something with you before I leave.  It is important to me that you feel welcome and comfortable in the school and in the classroom.  I cannot help your child to be the best grade five or six students they can be without your help, so please let me know if there is a certain way you would like me to meet the needs of your child.         

It is important for you to know that I strive to develop a culture of lifelong learning and curiosity in my classroom.  I model this with students as often as I can.  As an educator, I see my role as someone who teaches children how to learn for themselves, so that they can take those skills and apply them in a variety of situations.      

Literacy (reading, writing, and oral language development) and new forms of digital literacy are of critical importance to me.  Helping your child develop strong literacy skills, which they can use in middle school and beyond, is my number one priority.  To help in this area, I will be connecting with our district literacy coordinators to make sure I am meeting all my students’ needs in the most efficient ways possible.    

I’m excited about our mathematics program this year.  I’m in the middle of reading an excellent book written by Jo Boaler titled, Mathematical Mindsets: Unleashing Students’ Potential Through Creative Math, Inspiring Messaging, and Innovative Teaching.  It is my belief that all students are capable of learning math at high levels.  I am also taking a new mathematics course that will help me implement some of the recommendations mentioned in the above book.         

In Social Studies this year, we will continue the partnership I have developed with the WE Schools program, which is a Canadian organization that empowers children to make a difference in their local and global communities by engaging in a variety of service learning projects.  Whenever students get the chance to use the skills they develop in the classroom and apply them directly in real and authentic ways, school becomes more relevant and meaningful for them.  More information about this year-long project will be available soon.      

If you would like to stay connected with events in the classroom and interact with your child’s work, then please feel free to bookmark the class website on your home computer or mobile device at http://mrlistersd33.edublogs.org/.

I want to take this opportunity to reiterate my commitment to helping your child be successful in school and look forward to meeting you soon.

Kind regards,

Christopher Lister

christopher_lister@sd33.bc.ca

604 792 9301